My Story - Help ID This Criminal! by: Wyndham Bettencourt-McCarthy



On the evening of Saturday, June 26th, I was live blogging the protest at South Queen's Park on assignment for the site Torontoist. When police began randomly charging the peaceful crowd, I attempted to extricate myself as I witnessed other individuals being seized and beaten to the ground, despite being unarmed and not resisting force. As I was running out of the park, I was struck from behind by a male officer. He beat me with a baton, causing welts and bruising across my right hip and abdomen. I was unarmed at the time and had not said anything to any officers or engaged in any chanting, taunting, or aggressive behaviour. I did not know until later that a photographer was present at the event and had photographed the moment when I was hit. I have attached the image to this email, although unfortunately I do not know who took the photograph as it appeared in an anonymous facebook collection of accumulated photos from the weekend. I documented my experience on Torontoist, and photos of my bruises are available below:



You have my full permission to publish my story, photos, and full name. I am currently attempting to identify the officer that struck me so I can add the information to my formal complaint.

Thank you,

Wyndham Bettencourt-McCarthy


Check out lots of stories from G20 at the www.g20justice.com website. Tom

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is horrible!! As someone who travels regularly to countries where policing is often corruptand populated by thugs, I used to be proud to live in this country.

Anonymous said...

The stories like this one at www.g20justice.com are sickening to read. And the SIU almost gave the whole thing a pass?